Melting Moments... One of Australia's most beloved bikkies
Ahhh... Feels good to be back in Melbourne! If you follow me on Instagram, you would know that I spent the last few days in Adelaide with my family to attend my sister's graduation. This is the 4th time I've been to Adelaide in the past 3 years and I definitely feel like this was my favourite trip yet. Obviously, it was because it was much more meaningful to celebrate the end of a chapter for my sis (and also the start of a new one) whilst having my family over from overseas.
I got this recipe from Neil Perry's cookbook, "Simply Good Food", which I actually received from my colleague for Christmas last year. So nice of her. To be honest, I was actually surprised by how good this book was. You know how sometimes you have a cookbook, flip through it once, and never actually cook from it? Well, this was not the case. The recipes in this book were actually really captivating, delicious and best of all, simple to replicate. I've actually cooked from a number of the recipes from this book already and everything I've tried have come out quite delicious, including these melting moments.
I'm normally one to stay clear of desserts, but I do have a very soft spot for passionfruit in desserts. It is quite tart but when balanced with the right amount of sweetness, can transform into something rather spectacular. Something about the flavour that just gives a dessert so much LIFE from the very first bite, whilst complementing (or even enhancing) the rest of the elements that it comes with. These babies sure did the trick alright.
Come to think of it, some of the most enjoyable desserts I've had actually had passionfruit in them. Whether it's a simple Aussie pavlova with passionfruit on top; passionfruit cheesecake; passionfruit vanilla slice; passionfruit creme brulee; and now... melting moments with passionfruit butter too =)
I was having a bit of play with various styling and lighting in this post... Any photos that you like more than others? Otherwise, any feedback on how I can improve them would be more than welcomed too!
Melting Moments with Passionfruit Butter(adapted from a recipe in "Simply Good Food" by Neil Perry)
250g unsalted butter (softened)
75g icing sugar
zest of 2 lemons (finely grated)
250g plain flour
50g corn flour
40g unsalted butter (softened)
80g icing sugar
4 tbsp passionfruit pulp
Icing sugar (to dust)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Using an electric beater, beat the butter, icing sugar and lemon zest until pale and creamy. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flours until combined.
2. Knead the mixture on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover in plastic wrap and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Divide the mixture into 26 pieces and roll into balls. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and flatten the balls with the back of a fork.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until crisp and light golden. Stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
5. For the passionfruit butter, beat the butter with a wooden spoon until pale and creamy. Add half the icing sugar, beat until well combined. Add the passionfruit pulp and remaining icing sugar, beat until well combined and fluffy.
6. Using a butter knife or a piping bag, spread the passionfruit butter onto half of the cooled biscuits. Top with the remaining biscuits and dust with icing sugar.