My friends Jo, Bryan and I do this thing from time to time where we'd meet up for a simple homecooked meal. This idea came about when we decided that it'd be nice to cook and share food that we've prepared ourselves instead of eating out. Plus, we found out that all 3 of us lived so close to one another.
We take turns to host and would pick a theme for every meet up. The cuisines may be different each time, but the idea still comes back down to wholesome homecooked food, which most people know that I am ALL about. We've been doing this fun little get together for just over a year now and have had so many great memories together from it in the past, with more to come, I'm sure =)
Seriously tender and flavourful 'roo!
Anyway, back to this salad. We decided to meet up for dinner on Australia Day, so naturally, the theme for the evening was "Aussie food". I've wanted to cook kangaroo for the longest time, so this was the perfect occasion for it. It wasn't as tricky as I thought and it turned out surprisingly good, even though it was my first time. Because, as we all know, there really is nothing worse than overcooked kangaroo. They're so lean to begin with so once you cross that fine line, you'd basically be biting into a rubber tyre.
Got these golden beets from Victoria Market. Never seen or had them before, which was exciting to try
It didn't take me long to plan how I wanted to make this Aussie Salad. What protein? Kangaroo, naturally. Marinade was honey soy, which I thought to be quite Aussie as I don't recall having this combo until I got to Australia and started seeing it everywhere. Also, roasted beetroots were a natural fit as we get such beautiful beets here in Australia. Finally, there's no "Aussie-er" nut than the macadamia. Perfect.
The whole salad came together really beautifully and turned out very delicious. We all enjoyed it a lot. Good thing about this is that it's so easy to make in big portions to share at parties. Plus, they're so quick to make too!
Hope you give this recipe a go. Also, Happy Long Weekend to everyone this Easter! Hope you're all having a meaningful one with good friends and family =)
"Aussie Salad" with Grilled Kangaroo, Roasted Beetroot & Macadamia Nuts
For the steak:
1 piece kangaroo fillet (approx 500g)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 birds eye chillies (sliced)
For the beets:
3 baby red beetroots (approx. 1.5" diameter)
3 baby golden beetroots (approx. 1.5" diameter)
drizzle of olive oil
cracked salt and pepper
100g salted macadamia nuts (chopped in half)
150g mixed salad leaves
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1. Place all ingredients for steak in a bowl to marinate overnight in the fridge. Remove from fridge 1 hour before cooking.
2. Heat up a pan until very hot. Remove the steak from bowl (without the juices). For a steak of approx. 1 inch thick, cook for 3 minutes per side. Return the steak to rest in the same bowl of marinade (with the remaining juices) for 15 minutes. Slice to thin strips.
3. Peel the beetroots and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and cracked salt and pepper. Roast them whole in a preheated oven for 40 minutes at 200°C. Allow to cool before cutting it to thin slices.
4. Toast the nuts in a pan until they are golden and fragrant. Set aside.
5.Wash and drain the salad leaves. Dress with a bit of EVOO, cracked salt and pepper.
6. Mix the salad, beets, nuts together and serve on a plate. Place the sliced kangaroo on top and enjoy.
Do keep this recipe in mind, especially for next Australia Day!